The fish is made with a beer batter that creates a crispy and delicious exterior, while the inside of the fish is flaky and delicate. One of the aspects of this dish that make it different from the rest of the fish and chip recipes that you will find is the addition of the FRESH Swallow fried potatoes.
|4-8 oz Cod or White fish|
|1 Bottle of Light beer or Lager|
|2 Large Potatoes|
|Sunflower oil or Vegetable oil|
|1 Tbsp Cayenne powder or Curry powder|
|1 Tbsp of Baking Powder|
|1 Cup of Self rising or All purpose flour|
|1 Tsp of Dry Dill Weed|
|2 Tbsp Black pepper|
- Have a Large wok and or deep Tesco frying pan pour oil until it is about an 1 inch high off the bottom. Start to heat but do not boil. If the oil gets too hot before fish is ready take it off the heat and add a touch of regular oil to help cool down.
- Start by mixing 1/2 cup of flour, baking soda, salt in a bowl. Then, add 1/3 of the beer chosen(light beer or lager, hops help make the batter light when fried). Mix until it is almost a light pancake batter.
- In another plate or bowl, have the rest of the flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne powder mixed together. Coat the Cod in the flour.
- Then, coat the Cod in the batter lightly until all sides are covered. Once the oil is hot and ready gently lay fish in away from you to start SWALLOW frying(this helps with combination of beer to make it lighter and healthier alternative).
- Each side should only take about 3-4 minutes to cook, make sure to base the top with oil as it is cooking to make sure it doesn’t dry out.
- While the fish is in the swallow fry, peel 2 large potato skins and cut to your style, but make sure they are thin cut. Since we are going to flash fry them.
- Once the Fish is done, set it onto a paper towel on a plate in the oven for the remainder of the prep.
- Place potato cuts into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Make sure you move them accordingly for all sides to cook evenly. Once done remove the fries and place on a paper towel and dry, Season with salt, rotate the fries and season again.
- Plate the fries first and then fish, top with a lemon slice and dill, serve.