This a the modernized version of “Ratatouille” called Confit Byaldi. This was created by Michel Guerard to inspire a twist of fine dining with simple country dishes. Enjoy!
|6 Large Tomatoes|
|1 Red Bell Pepper|
|1 Yellow Bell Pepper|
|1 Tbsp Rosemary|
|1 Tbsp Thyme|
|2 Cloves of Garlic|
|1/2 White Onion|
|1 Small Eggplant|
|1 Yellow or Green Squash|
|4 Tbsp Mascarpone Cheese|
|Salt & Pepper|
- Pre Heat oven to 375 F*
- Cut a small “X” into the bottom of 4 of the tomatoes. Blanch the tomatoes for less than one minute in pot of boiling Water. Remove immediately and place in the ice bath, and allow to cool. Set aside.
- Place two bell peppers directly on the grill and DO NOT flip until side is charred. Blacken on all sides of bell peppers. Remove from grill, place in brown bag or cover with tin foil for 5-10 minutes. Peel off skin and place in blender with remaining tomatoes, garlic, onion, thyme, rosemary. Add 3/4 cup of water and 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Using Chefs knife, cut the 4 blanched tomatoes in 1/8 slices and place gently to the side. Using knife or Mandolin, slice eggplant, zucchini and squash to 1/8 slices(very thing but sturdy). Set aside.
- In casserole or roasting dish, pour small layer of the roast pepper mix on the bottom. Evenly disperse.
- Begin stacking sliced vegetables on top: eggplant, tomato, squash, and zucchini. Continue the pattern around the edge of the casserole dish, letting each slice stick out barely 1/4 from the other. Cover each layer with the next all around the dish until completely covered.
- Season top of vegetables with salt & pepper and lightly cover with olive oil. Cut a piece of parchment paper to the size of the dish, place on top of vegetables. Bake for 60 minutes, take parchment paper off continue to bake for 30.
- Serve and Enjoy!
For the movie look of “Confit Byaldi.” You can use a ring mold, or as most households have, muffin trays!
Ring Mold– Fill width of mold with vegetables stacked vertically. Place a layer of vegetables staggered horizontally over top, and slowly remove ring mold. Top with rosemary/chive. Drizzle Sauce to tasting.
Muffin Tray– First fill tray with vegetables staggered horizontally the width of tray. Place a second layer of vegetables staggered vertically. Place plate on top of tray, FLIP carefully. Top with rosemary/chive. Drizzle Sauce to tasting.